Skilled Lawyers Serving Businesses throughout Alabama
Every businessowner needs a trusted legal advocate to help them navigate complex situations, contentious disputes, and high-stakes crises. At Brockwell Smith LLC, our attorneys offer a wide range of legal services for businesses in Birmingham. Our seasoned team of legal professionals can assist you with individual transactions or conflicts, or we can provide dedicated legal assistance on an ongoing basis. No matter the situation or the size of your business, we will provide you with the responsive support and unwavering dedication you deserve.
Our lawyers are tenacious litigators with a track record of securing favorable results for our clients. We represent businesses as plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of legal scenarios. Our firm frequently handles complex cases that require a sophisticated level of legal attention. We are prepared to support smaller businesses that need help bringing legal action against larger companies. Whether you are involved in litigation involving business torts, shareholder conflicts, or insurance coverage disputes, we will work diligently to protect your interests and secure the best possible result.
“Greg Brockwell and Jay Smith are top quality attorneys and have served my company and myself personally for many years.” - William B.
“As a business owner, I appreciate the fact that he doesn't "over lawyer" things and understands business involves risk.” - Matthew W.
“Mr. Brockwell’s attention to detail and comprehensive and consummate preparation for his presentation to the court as well as anticipation of the other side’s counter arguments were of paramount importance to winning the case.” - Eric N.
Many of our clients come to us for help with a specific problem. After meeting our team and benefitting from our client-focused services, they often choose to come back again and again. No matter your needs, we are confident that we can find and implement a solution.
Our legal services for businesses in Birmingham include comprehensive assistance with:
- Alcohol Licensing. Alcohol licenses are heavily regulated and difficult to obtain in Alabama. Without the appropriate license(s), your business cannot legally procure, sell, or manufacture alcoholic products. At Brockwell Smith LLC, we guide businesses of all sizes through the process of getting a liquor license. We can also help you keep your compliance by advising on local, state, and federal rules. Our firm has assisted breweries, restaurants, clubs, bars, hotels, grocery stores, and more.
- Transactions. Businesses are built on transactions. From purchasing goods and services to paying employees to raising funds from investors, you must make every effort to ensure all transactions are carried out smoothly and are in the best interests of your company. We can advise on all types of transactions and verify that they are consistent with your goals. Our team can assist with all related contracting needs, including preparation, negotiation, and review.
- Permitting, Zoning, and Regulations. To operate a business in any Alabama municipality, you will need the applicable permits. The premises you intend to operate on must also be appropriately zoned. If your intended operations are located on land that is not zoned for commercial use (or a necessary subclassification like hospitality), you will need to petition the local regulatory authority for a rezoning. We are familiar with local permitting, zoning, and regulation rules and can assist with these efforts. Our goal is to help you cut through red tape and get your business up and running as quickly as possible.
- Outside General Counsel. Our firm can assist your business with individual transactions or disputes, but we are also more than capable of providing ongoing guidance and support. When you hire us as outside general counsel, we will work closely with your company leadership so that our advice and overall legal strategy align with your needs and objectives.
- Restructuring. If your business is experiencing financial problems or needs to undergo a major organizational shift, our firm can help you explore all available options. Once we have a complete understanding of your circumstances and goals for the reorganization, we can work to facilitate a merger, acquisition, spin-off, divestment, legal restructuring, repositioning restructuring, cost restructuring, or any other viable restructuring strategy.
- Formation and Dissolution. If you are ready to start a new business, you will need to pick an entity that will determine how your organization is taxed and organized. Your business entity selection will also decide your level of personal liability. We can assist with limited partnerships (LPs), limited liability companies (LLCs), S corporations, C corporations, and more. Our team will help you prepare all relevant paperwork and file the appropriate documentation with the Alabama Secretary of State. Our firm will also walk you through all reporting requirements and formalities that apply to your chosen entity type. Should you decide to wind down your business operations, we can also help you take the steps to legally close it.